Our psychiatrists and behavioral health staff build therapeutic relationships with our patients based on validation. By understanding and accepting our patients' experiences, we develop trust using a caring approach to help them in their time of need.
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
Our treatment approach strongly incorporates the elements of dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT). All of our clinical staff members are trained in DBT. This skills-based method teaches patients how to cope with painful or negative emotions that arise from a stressful event.
To help patients improve their quality of life and their relationships with other people, DBT emphasizes:
- Core mindfulness: Learning to observe, describe and participate in the moment
- Distress tolerance: Accepting yourself and the current situation in a non-evaluative and nonjudgmental way
- Emotional regulation: Learning to identify and label current emotions
- Interpersonal effectiveness: Learning effective strategies for asking for personal needs, saying no and coping with interpersonal conflict
- Radical acceptance: Learning to identify conflict and stressors, accepting that conflict exists in life and learning to lower emotional suffering
Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)
Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is a treatment for severe symptoms of mental illness that uses electric stimulus to produce a generalized seizure. Psychiatrists perform this medical treatment on patients who are medication resistant, chronically suicidal, chronically depressed, suffering from Bipolar Disorder, treatment resistant depression, severe and chronic psychosis to include catatonia or other similar psychotic disorders.
Individual and Group Therapy
Our psychiatrists and licensed therapists offer individual and group therapy sessions on an inpatient basis.
Patients can schedule individual therapy sessions daily with a psychiatrist for inpatients in the Behavioral Health Center.
We hold group therapy sessions throughout each day for inpatients. These include:
- A morning goals group
- A medication group
- A therapy/process group
- Education groups
We also support family members as they help their loved one through a difficult time. Learn more about our behavioral health education and therapy for families.
Find out more about our behavioral health assessments and admissions.
Recreation Therapy for Behavioral Health
We help our patients build their social skills and stay active through recreation therapy. A therapist leads each activity to get patients involved. Our recreation therapy activities include:
- Basketball and other outdoor activities
- Music, including karaoke and piano
Take the First Step: Contact Us Anytime
If you're concerned about yourself or a loved one, get help now. Our behavioral health professionals are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to provide immediate evaluations. For a free, confidential assessment, call or Skype us at (727) 809-1879.
Behavioral Health Center
West Pasco Campus
Medical Center of Trinity
5637 Marine Pkwy
New Port Richey, FL 34652